Monday, February 17, 2014

Thank Goodness for Ice Cream :)‏

Sometimes, you just get along really well with your companion, the missionary work is awesome, your area is sweet, and life is good.  Other times... not so much.  Right now my life is in the first category so I'm going to continue to enjoy it while it lasts.  :)
This last week has been awesome... and one of those weeks where I realize how much growth still needs to happen here, for myself as a person.  I've said it before and it's still true - missions have a way of bringing out weaknesses.  I've learned that unfortunately that is a necessary part of the growing process.  Dang it. 

When I first arrived at the Mission home six months ago, they had us do some activity where we formed play-dough into something we wanted to get out of our missions.  I had no clue what to make... but what I ended up doing has had more relevance the further I've gotten into my mission.  I formed a simple, cookie-cutter looking girl and slapped a name-tag on her.  When I got up to explain I told everyone that I knew the kind of me I wanted to be by the end and that that was my goal.  At that point, I don't think I realized that my Father in Heaven was listening to what I was saying and decided to help me out with this goal.  How nice of Him.  :) 
I wish it wasn't so hard to change... I'm glad Sister Sanders is here to help me out this transfer.  Talking to her about this stuff has helped me out a ton, cause she's kinda going through the same thing.  That being said...

Why do we hold onto stuff we don't even like about ourselves?  I'm pretty good a getting rid of old papers and "junk" around my room and stuff and I wish I was good about doing that same thing with habits and characteristics I really could do without.  Sometimes... okay, mostly lately, I feel like I'm trying to get rid of "junk" that I really don't like at all, it's just hard to get rid of it after I've hung onto it for so long...

That, my friends, is where the Atonement comes in.  Phew... Hallelujah for that!!!  The Atonement is sssoooooo central to the gospel.  It doesn't just help us repent and overcome sin, but it also allows us to change in other ways as well.  The process for any type of change is much the same as the repentance process, meaning... it is not easy!!  You have to acknowledge that you have something that needs to be changed (sometimes this is made apparent in very open, awkward-ways... and sometimes not).  Then, you have to struggle to actually try to change it (yeah... this part basically feels impossible sometimes).  And somehow, with the Lord's help, you make it through to the other side.  Of course, that is not the end... the hardest part is that darn, whole enduring-to-the-end-thingy.

Man... life is difficult.  Good thing there is ice cream to help us along the way.  :)
Anyways.......

Life is really going great here! :)  We had five investigators at church yesterday... an all-time high for me :)  More importantly, our investigators are progressing really, really well.  We've tried focusing on/using the Book of Mormon more in our lessons and I can see the difference it is making.  We had a bit of a rough spot yesterday... We were sitting in the gospel principles class with our investigators yesterday and they were all getting really into the discussion.  Tatay, who almost never speaks, ever, opened up and was asking all of these questions.  Then Jenny joined in, and their questions were awesome... but were all over the place and even though we are only in lesson one with one of them and mid-way through lesson two with the other, their questions were covering all of the lessons and then plus-some...  It was a little overwhelming to say the least.  At one point our investigator asked the teacher if he was the bishop, and if she could meet with him because she had a lot of questions and then she basically said that Sister Sanders wasn't answering them so she needed to meet with him.... it was rough.  I pointed out to Sister Sanders that at least she mentioned her name... I'm still the "Other Sister" at this point.  :)  It's great that our investigators have so many questions, we're just going to have to remind them that we can't teach them everything all at once.

Anyways... Hope you all had a romantic Valentine's day!  We had a date at our apartment after working and watched the Testaments movie... there's even kissing in that movie... it was great. 
Love you all!
Love, Sister Dickison 

No comments:

Post a Comment